AmigaActive (1715/2143)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:26 May 2000 at 16:21:25
Subject:Re: Netconnect 3

Samuel Byford said,

>> > Just to put right, the person who was putting right. :)

>> > OS3.1 WB3.5

>> No, it's OS 3.5. There's a lot more to OS 3.5 than an updated
>> Workbench.

> But the OS thats in the Roms in 3.1. Workbench admitedly updates
> this even more via setpatch, but I thought it was still classifed as
> OS3.1 not OS3.5 just because of a workbench workaround.

It's Kickstart that's in the ROMs. Kickstart is basically the kernel
plus some resident drivers, libraries and commands, some of which are
patched or replaced by new ones in 3.5.

Workbench is merely the GUI. What about datatypes, print drivers,
libraries, and the filesystem? Many people don't even use Workbench, but
they still use those elements of the OS.

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
Connected via Wirenet - http://www.wire.net.uk
The UK's first Amiga-only internet access provider

Remember the good 'ol days